Gretchen McNeil is an opera singer, writer and clown. Her YA horror POSSESS debuted with Balzer + Bray for HarperCollins in 2011. Her follow up TEN – YA horror/suspense about ten teens trapped on a remote island with a serial killer – will be released September 18, 2012, and her third novel 3:59, sci fi horror pitched as The Parent Trap meets Event Horizon, is scheduled for Fall 2013.
Gretchen is a former coloratura soprano, the voice of Mary on G4's Code Monkeys and she sings with the LA-based circus troupe Cirque Berzerk. Gretchen blogs with The Enchanted Inkpot and is a founding member of the vlog group the YARebels where she can be seen as "Monday."
Thank you Me, My Shelf & I for hosting this Amazing Tour.
Top Ten Things that Scare You
1. Spiders. DO NOT EVEN GET ME STARTED! My boyfriend tries to remind me that they're good because they kill the "bad" bugs, but they move so fast… *shudder*
2. Demonic Possession. Thus my subject matter for my debut POSSESS – I wanted to write a scary book so I tried to think of the things that scare me most.
3. Fanny packs. THE HORROR!
4. Sharks. After seeing Jaws as a child (thanks cousin Steve), it took my mom months to convince me that there were no man-eating sharks in the freshwater lake where we took our vacations. I'm still not sure I believe her…
5. Wide open spaces. I'd rather walk through gang territory at night than through a field or forest 100 miles from the nearest human.
6. Being on a sinking ship. I can't even watch movies about it, it scares me so much.
7. Did I mention spiders? Holy crap, have you seen the video for "Lullaby" by The Cure? I'll just be huddled here under the table, rocking back and forth.
8. Pajama jeans. YOU CANNOT MAKE ME WEAR THEM! I WILL RESIST! I WILL RESIST!
9. Fanatics and zealots. You can't rationalize with the irrational.
10. Zombie Apocalypse. Hey, it could happen! And let's face it: as a girl with the impractical shoe collection, a fluffy white dog and literally no survival skills, I'm the first to go.
And their doom comes swiftly.
It was supposed to be the weekend of their lives – three days on Henry Island at an exclusive house party. Best friends Meg and Minnie each have their own reasons for wanting to be there, both of which involve Kamiak High’s most eligible bachelor, T.J. Fletcher. But what starts out as a fun-filled weekend turns dark and twisted after the discovery of a DVD with a sinister message: Vengeance is mine.
Suddenly, people are dying and the teens are cut off from the outside world. No electricity, no phones, no internet, and a ferry that isn’t scheduled to return for two days. As the deaths become more violent and the teens turn on each other, can Meg find the killer before more people die? Or is the killer closer to her than she could ever imagine?