Book Nerd Vlog Post
Kristen Simmons is the author of the ARTICLE 5 series and THE GLASS ARROW (Tor Teen). She loves her family, Jazzercise, and chocolate cupcakes. She currently lives in Cincinnati, Ohio.
10 Random Things about your college years:
Oh, college. Sweet, sweet college.
1. I bounced around a lot. As in, I started out in Oregon, and ended up in Nevada, by way of West Virginia.
2. My first college was “clothing optional.” People literally did not have to wear clothes. And some of them didn’t.
3. That same school also had co-ed dorms with co-ed dorm rooms and co-ed bathrooms. It was a teensy bit of a shock coming out of high school.
4. I graduated with a bachelor’s degree in psychology.
5. I went on to get a master’s degree in social work.
6. I tried out for the dance team at one school with no dance experience, and HAHA, I MADE IT! It was super fun.
7. My junior year roommate did not spend one night in our room. She stayed with her boyfriend, and let me use her fridge, microwave, and TV. She was awesome. (We are still friends.)
8. I wrote a book for my comprehensive master’s project (about a boy who took an elevator through various levels of a building, each representing a different layer of society), and then I wrote a thesis on that book, dissecting social justice principles in my writing. I’m still writing about social issues.
9. I dissected a human brain.
10. I used cinder blocks to build bookshelves. :)
10 characteristics of a great friend:
Hi there! There are so many things that make a person a good friend. I recently read something that said that good friends help you up when you fall down, but best friends push you back down and laugh until they fall down beside you. I loved that.
Ten qualities that I think are important in a friend: loyalty, sense of humor, trustworthiness, empathy, someone who, you know, cares about you, someone who respects you, and likes you how you are, someone who’s there when you need them (and when you don’t), who supports you enough to say when you’ve been an idiot but also can compliment you when you kick butt, and who forgives you for that time you puked all over their favorite shirt.
In a world where females are scarce and are hunted, then bought and sold at market for their breeding rights, 15-year old Aya has learned how to hide. With a ragtag bunch of other women and girls, she has successfully avoided capture and eked out a nomadic but free existence in the mountains. But when Aya’s luck runs out and she’s caught by a group of businessmen on a hunting expedition, fighting to survive takes on a whole new meaning.